We base our Copyright Practice on the same principles as our Trademark Practice. By working with our clients to understand their goals, we offer strategic advice on the acquisition, protection, and enforcement of their original works and materials, in all media, under the Copyright Laws of the U.S.
In addition, we assist our clients in a full range of copyright services, including the provision of advice with respect to the use and exploitation of copyrighted materials, obtaining registrations, licensing content, and managing our clients' portfolios.
We counsel our clients on a wide range of issues, including infringement of copyrighted subject matter, fair use of copyrighted works, ownership of employee-created works, and Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) "takedown" notices, to name a few.
When necessary, our seasoned litigators vigorously protect our clients' copyrights in litigation.
Our clients include many of our trademark clients, as well as authors, songwriters, computer-game manufacturers, media companies, web developers, sports companies, and trade associations.
- Copyright registration
- Opinions and letters
- Publishing agreements
- Music recording contracts and licenses
- Rights of personality, publicity agreements and privacy issues
- Represented author in contract negotiations with documentary film producer
- Represented musician in contract negotiations with film producer regarding non-exclusive license for musical works and lyrics
- Counseled author regarding steps to successfully obtain copyright protection before approaching multiple film producers with movie idea and publishers with book idea
- Represented software development company in identifying and implementing licensing strategies and protecting code through copyright and trade secret laws
- Served as special counsel to a state's attorney general, representing state agencies in connection with major purchases of customized software applications
- Represented trade association in development of copyright policies
- Represented and trained business consultancy in the protection, enforcement, ownership, and licensing of their materials prepared with and for their clients
The Evolution of Counterfeiting and 5 Essential Steps for Fighting Back
UPDATE: US Patent & Trademark Office Issues New Trademark Use Rule (Delayed until March 21, 2017)
US Patent & Trademark Office Issues New Trademark Use Rule
Do You Need Copyright Protection for Your Website?
What Does "Brexit" Mean For Your Valuable Trademarks and Brands?